Saturday, July 13, 2013

Prison blues (and oranges)

I have a confession to make. A real, honest to goodness confession that may or may not have a direct impact on my lesbian street cred from here on out. Are you ready? OK. I haven’t watched much of the women in prison genre. Gosh, just admitting it makes me feel lighter. I’ve never seen “Chained Heat” or “Caged Fury” or “Girls in Prison” (even though the latter had both Ione Skye and Anne Heche). Nor did I watch “Bad Girls,” despite the repeated berating of my nearest and dearest friends whose pop culture taste I trust absolutely. In fact I think the only women in prison-genre film I’ve seen is “Stranger Inside,” a 2001 HBO movie offering from out filmmaker Cheryl Dunye. And I watched that just for the lezzy scenes. As I recall, if I can recall a dozen years ago, it was good stuff. Gritty. Hot. Poignant. Hot. Wait, why haven’t I watched more of the women in prison genre?But now, I have a chance to make up for it. There are not one, but two new series to enjoy with ladies behind bars. The first is “Orange is the New Black,” a new series debuting today on Netflix. From the creator of “Weeds,” the story follows a woman who ends up in prison 10 years after becoming a drug mule for her then girlfriend/international drug trafficker. It’s based on a true story and features bisexual, lesbian and trans women characters. It looks dark and funny and dark and funny some more.I can’t wait to get home tonight and start watching.But then there’s also “Wentworth.” The Australian drama and remake of the 80s Aussie soap “Prisoner.” It’s been compared to “Breaking Bad,” which I also don’t watch. But I know people love it. And there’s also lezzy stuff because women’s prison, yo. Is it just me or does the older woman remind you of prison Martha Stewart. Wait, is that redundant?I’m not sure my delicate, law-abiding sensibilities can watch two women in prison shows simultaneously. But I do know prison jumpsuits never looked so appealing.
Source:http://dorothysurrenders.blogspot.com/2013/07/prison-blues-and-oranges.html

Prison blues (and oranges) Images

Dorothy Surrenders: Prison blues (and oranges)
(800 x 700 - 540.95 KB - jpeg)

Ginger St. James - Folsom Prison Blues and Orange Blossom Special
(480 x 360 - 16.54 KB - jpeg)

Orange Prison Jumpsuit Costume is a great prisoner costume. The Orange ...
(432 x 432 - 26.72 KB - jpeg)

Orange Prison Uniform
(460 x 345 - 114.76 KB - jpeg)

No comments:

Post a Comment